Six Important Tips to Consider for Safe Scaffolding ErectionDecember 2, 2019
The installation of scaffolding in a construction site is vital to the safety of the project. Scaffolding workers access areas which are difficult to reach. Aside from building new construction projects, scaffolding is also used when an existing building is undergoing renovation and retrofitting.
While scaffolding provides security and safety measures, installing the scaffolding itself can already pose dangers to workers. One simple mistake can result in catastrophic consequences, such as falls leading to hospitalisations. Scaffolding erection can be quite risky, so workers must be very careful when installing them. To make sure that no accidents will occur, follow these six important tips for safe scaffolding erection.
- Prepare the Area
Just like your buildings, your scaffolding must stand on a flat stable surface or ground. This initial step will help you stabilise the foundation and support of your entire scaffolding structure. Placing your scaffolding on uneven or unstable ground can pose a huge risk to the entire construction crew.
- Ensure Safety of Workers
The scaffolding doesn’t have to carry the weight of providing safety. Basic protocols in a construction site call for the regular compliance of workers when it comes to using goggles, hard hats, gloves, and other necessary body protection gear. Moreover, all construction materials like ladders, handrails, and gates must be furnished regularly. Failure to ensure these safety precautions will put your entire crew’s lives in great danger.
- Protect the Public
Apart from ensuring the safety of your workers, you must also ensure the safety of the public. It must be visibly clear that construction works are ongoing in the area for the public to be aware and careful when they pass by. The installation of scaffolding can take a long time. So, it would be best for pedestrians to avoid the area while the installation is in progress.
You can put a temporary pavement or street closure signs so that the public will not cross the area. Signs and barriers must be visible at all times. If the nearby streets of the site are crucial to the community, you may work on the scaffolding installation during early morning or at night. Weekends are also recommended for scaffolding installation.
- Inspect the Scaffolds
Before the scaffolding installation begins, the scaffolds must be thoroughly checked to avoid mishaps along the way. Depending on the duration of the project, some scaffolds may be subjected to corrosion and damages as the days go by. Such situations call for daily evaluations. These evaluations are needed to determine the status and the total number of scaffolds. These will also help remove scaffolds that can be dangerous for the site.
- Follow Work Methods
With everything set and ready to go, the only thing that workers must do is to install the whole scaffolding structure. Installing scaffolding may take a while, but everything will be all right if all workers follow safe work methods.
First off, scaffolders must be clipped on or working within a handling platform. This action is applicable when letting down or lifting materials. As the work goes on, three board working platforms along with a single guardrail must be placed for the safety of workers. Workers can also be safe if they wear safety harnesses around their bodies.
The installation of scaffolding must continue and repeat the primary steps mentioned. One of the most crucial steps when installing scaffolds is that they must be tied into a stable solid structure. Guardrails and ledgers must be placed around the scaffolding structure. Ladders must also be installed accordingly. See to it that ladder access and furnished working platforms are placed securely.
- Supervise and Monitor
Even if our workers have adequate knowledge and experience in scaffolding installation, we still have to train them regularly. Also, you must monitor and supervise the process of their work. People who are authorised to monitor their works must make sure that the whole scaffolding installation process is followed closely and accurately during the entire construction duration.
Following the aforementioned tips on scaffolding erection can ensure the safety of all workers and the public. If you want to enquire about scaffolding services, contact us now at C&N Scaffolding. We can help you plan your next scaffolding project with the most cost-efficient and time-saving solution.
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Fail-safe Tips in Scaffolding System Erection During Construction
- Safety Erection and Dismantling of Scaffolds
- Aluminium Scaffolding and Its Advantages
- What are Scaffold Ties and Why are they Important?
- Kwikstage Scaffolding and Its Components
- How to Make Your Scaffolding Parts and Accessories Last Longer
- The Need for Scaffolding During Home Renovation, External Repairs, and Repainting
- Scaffolding Rental: Reasons that Make it More Practical for Builders and Contractors Enhanced Safety
- Risk Management in Scaffolding Rental Services
- Kwikstage Modular Scaffolding: Reasons Why it is Most Commonly Used in Construction Projects
- Suspended Scaffolding: What is It and Why Safety is Very Important?
- Effective Management of Scaffolding Systems to Ensure Workers' Safety
- A Brief Guide to Narrow Scaffolding According to OSHA Standards
- The Difference between a Scaffolding and Formwork
- Scaffolding Fittings and Accessories Essential to a Construction Project
- Significance of Ladder Access Towers Scaffolding
- Ways to Avoid Scaffolding-Related Risks on Construction Sites
- Understanding the Main Uses of Cuplock Scaffolding
- Reasons Why Construction Companies Rely Highly on Scaffolding Systems
- Six Important Tips to Consider for Safe Scaffolding Erection
- View all articles…
- Aluminium Scaffolding: What are the Pros and Cons?
- Is There a Height Limit in Scaffolding Assemblies?
- View all articles…
- What Type of Scaffolding Should be Used for Low-Rise Buildings?
- A Quick Guide to Professional Scaffolding Erection
- View all articles…
- Scaffolding Checklist to Ensure Safety Use and Proper Platform Construction
- The Significance of Precise and Efficient Scaffolding in Multi-Story Buildings
- View all articles…